Saturday, February 20, 2010

Finished!

Ok, here's a picture of the completed "headboard" along with the creative process:

That would be the finished product. I'm thinking of getting some dark gray pillows to prop up behind the white ones, and then have the pink ones be under the comforter so you can't see them at all. When I have money.
Ok, so first I tested two light  yellows from Home Depot on the wall:

Then taped up computer paper to figure out how many fit width wise and height wise to make the stencil:

Then drew out the design trying to come as close as possible to this headboard I saw in Domino magazine:

*I used a pencil I received from a girlfriend as the "save-the-date" for her wedding this summer. Ridiculously cute/unique. 

Then I drew it on a regular sized paper I had folded in the same amount of squares that fit on my wall. 
Then drew each square from my drawing onto an individual piece of computer paper. 
Then taped them up to the wall to make sure they lined up and actually worked.
Then cut them out and taped them back up again.

Then traced the outline with a pencil.
And painted that biatch in!


And what you have now, is the final product with two coats of paint and the bed moved back up against the wall:


Total cost of the project: Nada!

I could have ordered a stencil from The Stencil Library which is what they used for the domino headboard, but that cost something ridiculous like $40 so I figured I could do it myself somehow. It may not have been the most logical process of how I recreated the stencil, but it worked for me. Plus for the paint I used a Lowe's gift card for, so that didn't cost me anything. Although at Home Depot I did pay $5 for the two paint samples, so I lied, it cost me $5. But I heart it!! 

1 comment: